How to Use the Hardest Moments in Parenting to Draw Yourself and Your Children Closer to God
‘RENEW YOU’ Show Notes:
Today’s episode of Renew You is all about taking the hardest moments in parenting when we are tempted to lose it and turning them into times where your faith is strengthened. It really is possible!
Host Quinn Kelly highlights Romans 12:2 thinking by helping readers reflect on this thought:
The WORLD says this: Good parents make good kids who don't have hard moments. So when these hard moments occur with children, it's a time to feel frustrated with them and like a failure.
But God’s WORD says this:
There is never any guarantee that anything in life is easy and parenting is included, but these hard moments can make us stronger in our faith and bring our kids closer to God too. James 1:2-4 says this: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
EPISODE NOTES AND RESOURCES MENTIONED:
Steps for Using Hard Moments to Grow in Faith: --
1) Identify activating moment.
2) Replace faulty worldly expectation with truth from God's word. (See Scripture above.) Good parents have hard moments but these moments can be used for strengthening our relationship with Christ as well as with our children. (Hallelujah)
3) Ask yourself, "How does this interaction resemble my relationship with God" to muster up and find compassion?"
4) Choose fruit of the spirit that you feel is lacking in these circumstances. (Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.)
5) Respond with this phrase: "I'm choosing to (insert fruit of your choice) because Jesus shows (fruit of the spirit) with me." In turn, offer back up that moment to God as a form of worship or praise to him.
RENEW WITH COFFEE:
Remember to let us know your thoughts and how this episode affected you! If you liked what you heard, please help us reach even more people by sharing a pic of our podcast in your stories, on your social media page or tagging one of your friends on our page. Each week, one listener will receive a free coffee for sharing! Just tag ‘Renew You Podcast’ in your InstaStory or on a Facebook post and we will draw one name.
‘RENEW YOU PODCAST’ SOCIAL MEDIA:
For all things Renew you, check out our website and social media pages:
Renew You Website: www.renewyoupodcast.com
THANK YOU TO OUR AMAZING SPONSORS:
Monica Humphrey, your friend, your neighbor, your realtor: www.monicahumphrey.com
Jack and Monroe Boutique: www.jackandmonroe.com, Use code RENEWYOU for 15% off your purchase
Back to Healthy Bodywork, www.backtohealthbodywork.com, Use code RENEWYOU for 15% off your first treatment
SUPPORT THIS PODCAST:
To help support ‘Renew You’ including website and marketing expenses, interview costs and staff on a monthly level for as little as $5 a month, please check out our Patreon site at: https://www.patreon.com/renewyoupodcast.
QUINN’S BLOG -- SANCTIFICATION AND SPITUP:
Sanctification and Spitup Website: www.sanctificationandspitup.com